Post Comment
Posted by KWYitKUNfaDINSe in , , - February 9, 2009 2/09/2009 06:15:00 PM


While walking through the foodcourt in the mall, my daughter made the following comment about Dippin' Dots with a concerned look on her face:

Lil 1: Mom, is that REALLY the ice cream of the future?

Me: What are you talking about?

Lil 1: Dippin Dots. Is it true???

Me: Umm, I don't think so. It's just the brand's slogan.

Lil 1: Oh, good! (with a sigh of relief)


Her concern caused me to put on my marketing hat and contemplate if Dippin' Dots really could be the ice cream of the future - and more importantly, why did the powers-that-be in marketing at this company choose this statement as the brand promise?

As a marketer, I believe that its imperative that a brand deliver on the expectations of its promise - a promise which should differentiate the brand from its competitors, be distinctive, induce action from consumers, and most of all - be believable!

In the case of Dippin' Dots, the believability is questionable. The more I think about it, I can't conceive that this brand is the ice cream of the future - by any stretch of the imagination! My daughter falls into the target market (kids ages 8-18) and she has tried the product a few times. Needless to say, she has not taken a liking to the product and was quite relieved that we would still have regular ice cream in the future. I mean honestly, do we need a new type of ice cream for the future? What's wrong with our current form of ice cream?

Also, I'm a little confused as to how the brand's promise relates to its brand identity. The font treatment, web/collateral design elements and the distribution channel(s) all give the brand an 'old-timey' feel. There's nothing 'futuristic' about it. I do have to say that I'm intrigued by the cryogenic encapsulation technology used in the product development to supposedly lock in flavor and freshness. However, I believe that the brand could do a better job at highlighting its functional benefits by finding a creative way to communicate those benefits to the target.

This post has 0 comments
0 bikbik kere edilmiÅŸ

Post a Comment